Palace of the Humpbacks of Harasov
The seat of the Stadler-Trier Music Foundation and its foundation fund is the Hrzánů z Harasov Palace (Hrzánský palác) at Celetná 558/12, which is a cultural monument of the Czech Republic. It consists of a three-story main building and two side wings, which together form Hrzánská Passage leading to Kamzíkova Street. The main facade facing Celetná street is decorated with a baroque portal with a pair of atlantes on the sides, which support a balcony with a classicist railing. The basement of the palace is partly the ground floor of the original house with a cruciform Romanesque vault, the other part of the basement is later, from the Gothic period. Inside, the highly baroque vaults on the ground floor of the main building have been preserved, while the rooms on the upper floors, as well as the other wings, were rebuilt in the early 20th century.
On the site of today's palace stood a Romanesque house in the 12th century, which was gradually rebuilt, first in the High Gothic style and probably in the 16th century in the Renaissance style. In 1701, Count Zikmund Valentin Hrzán of Harasov became the owner of the palace, who had it rebuilt in the highest Baroque style. The author of the reconstruction was probably the Baroque architect of Northern Italian origin, Giovanni Battista Alliprandi. At the end of the 18th century, the owners of the palace became the lords from Vrtba, who in 1801 added another floor in the courtyard part of the palace. The next owners were the Lobkowicz family from 1839. They had classical pavilions built in the courtyard of the palace. Further adjustments to the interior floors and the addition of new courtyard wings date from 1901.
In the years 1906-1912, Hermann and Julie Kafka - Franz Kafka's parents - had a textile wholesale shop in the palace. During the First Republic, František Stadler, a wholesaler of luxury fabrics, bought the palace and ran his business here until the Second World War. During the war, František Stadler and his wife Marta Trierová Stadlerová were arrested by the Gestapo and taken to a concentration camp in Łódź, where they both perished. After the end of the war, their son and the founder of the foundation, Jan Stadler, took over the house, but after the February coup in 1948, it was confiscated and nationalized. Jan Stadler acquired the house in the 1990s as part of restitution.
The possibility of renting
An extensive reconstruction of the front of the house and the shopping arcade is currently underway. If you are interested in renting space, please contact us.